U.S. Home Construction Jumps nearly 10 percent in January
Seattle Eyes Taller, Denser in Affordable Housing Proposal
Trump's Plan to Rebuild US Roads Relies on Local Dollars
Keeping Electronic Records Can Save you Much More than Just Paper
Smartphone Cameras Top the List for Improving Jobsite Safety
Construction Industry Tech Spending is On the Rise
Friday Funny: An "Occupational" Hazard
Market Sell-Off a Good Time to Brush Up on Financial Terms
By Jeff Wing
November 14, 2016
Super-Sealed "Passive Houses". Their Moment has Arrived
A Passive House is a very very low-energy usage house. How is this achieved? Elaborate insulation, thicker walls, and super-sealed joinery comprise what one industry expert describes as "a huge thermos". A typical house experiences about 15 Air Changes per Hour; a rating known in the HVAC industry as an ACH measure. A properly built Passive House reduces that number to .6; these places are as airtight as NASA airlocks. In a world of dwindling energy resources, that is a good thing. Your utility bill will thank you.
Facelift? PR Tidal Wave? Construction Needs a New Image Yesterday
GCs everywhere agree; construction is suffering from an image problem. The industry's blue collar reputation means that most young people glancing in from the outside are seeing only broad strokes and have an overly simplistic view of what goes on in construction. These office towers aren't building themselves, kids.
President-Elect's Deportation Theme Has Builders Nervous
North Carolina's construction sector is not atypical. Statewide, it's comprised of around 70% undocumented workers doing the actual building under the watchful eyes of the other 30% ; their American supervisors. The industry isn't sure how to broach this fundamental equation with the incoming President of the United States, whose stated intention to broadly deport the undocumented was a major campaign promise from which his supporters will not likely let him walk away. Interesting times for the construction lobby. To say the least.
All-Purpose Construction Adhesive Makes Top 100 Product List
This stuff may be bad news for nail producers. Whether a surface is dry, wet, frozen, or heated to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, here is a compound that will stick that surface to another with all the unbreakable strength you'd expect from a super-secret polymer hybrid. Irony: this futuristic gunk was listed by This Old House Magazine. 3M can stop barking about scotch tape now.
Construction vs Eagles in Virginia
A community in Northern Virginia is up in arms about construction taking place near a pair of nesting eagles. The perturbed-looking eagles have set up seasonal housekeeping in the same city park for years — a park that is unhappily adjacent to a new construction project this year. American icons stymie American progress.
Weekly Grind: Mt. Rushmore's Secret Chamber and Greenland Aglow
In case you hadn’t heard, OSHA increased the cost of penalties by 78 per cent back in August of 2016, and another two per cent increase came your way just January 15 of this year. Further increases... Read More
If you're a construction worker, you're most likely working physical labor and it can get hot if you're working under the sun. Here's a guide for h... Read More
Pete says that Procore quickly breaks down the complicated pieces of data in his jobs, and presents them to the end user in a digestible format. "T... Read More
Hear Brad Hyatt, Associate Professor at California State University Fresno, discuss what students are learning in school to prepare them for const... Read More
Construction has always had a somewhat complicated relationship with technology. Over the last few decades there have been improvements in material... Read More
J. Colin Cagney, a director, KPMG Major Projects Advisory, knows that while most companies want to use data analytics to increase, they’re often no... Read More
Congress has passed the final version of the federal tax reform bill, and it will soon head to President Donald Trump to be signed into law. The qu... Read More
January 9, 2018