Construction Tech Trends for 2019 and Beyond
Trendsetters and Construction Stars at the Master Builders Australia National Awards
Ancient Profession Moves into the Future
Don't Let Scope Creep Sneak Up On You
What's it Worth to be a Tradie?
Marsden Park's Massive Transformation
Sydney Aerotropolis: The City of the Future
How Architecture Can Change Lives
By Australian associated Press
October 9, 2017
Workers tasked with the $200 million refurbishment of the Sydney Opera House have walked off the job for the second time after again reportedly being exposed to asbestos.
Electrical workers downed tools on Friday morning and refused to install cable through the iconic building after it was confirmed potentially deadly asbestos had been found, the Electrical Trades Union said in a statement.
Samples collected on Wednesday contained friable asbestos which can crumble into powder making it easier to inhale or ingest.
The discovery comes after asbestos was discovered in an accessibility tunnel in the Joan Sutherland Theatre prompting a similar halt to work in August this year.
"Two months after this major safety issue was uncovered, and the builder was ordered to rectify it by the safety regulator, we have again seen workers exposed to these carcinogenic fibres," ETU secretary Dave McKinley said in a statement.
There were two unexpected finds of asbestos this week, a spokeswoman for builder Laing O'Rourke told AAP in a statement.
"All procedures as defined in our asbestos management plan have been followed in consultation with the hygienist and the licensed asbestos removal company," the spokeswoman said.
The theatre construction site is now being inspected and all suspect materials submitted for testing before work resumes, Laing O'Rourke said.
SafeWork NSW confirmed it had been notified of the discovery.
It said workers had been wearing protective clothing when the asbestos was uncovered and, as a result, were not exposed.
"A prohibition notice was not issued as work had already ceased," a Safework NSW spokesperson said in a statement.
"However, SafeWork NSW inspectors are monitoring the situation closely and will take any action necessary to ensure the health and safety of the workers involved in the construction work."
The Sydney Opera House launched an investigation after the discovery in August and the builder subsequently obtained a clearance certificate declaring the site safe.
The August incident also resulted in a call by the Australian government’s Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency for a national program of removal, rather than management of the deadly material.
At the time, the Agency’s CEO, Peter Tighe, said that while there were regulations in place to manage asbestos in buildings and avoid risk to human health, the management regime clearly failed on that and other occasions to protect people from harmful exposure.
“There is no known safe level of exposure to asbestos. It is unacceptable that 25 workers were exposed for a week before authorities were informed and steps put in place to protect the workers,” Mr Tighe said
“The regulations to protect people working in buildings require an asbestos register, a management plan, appraisal of areas where asbestos is identified, and removal of high risk asbestos before workers go in.
“There is clearly a breakdown of the system and it has failed in the duty of care for workers at the Sydney Opera House this week. Next week, it will be somewhere else.”
He said that with the levels of asbestos that are known to exist in Australian buildings, there will continue to be instances where workers and home renovators are exposed.
“We really need to move from management of asbestos to a proactive program of removing high risk asbestos from Australian buildings.
“We need to instigate removal programs right across the board – from homes and both Government and privately owned buildings.”
Asbestos is also on the radar for the Senate Inquiry into Non-Conforming Building Products, with the Inquiry slated to release an interim report this month on asbestos in building products.
AAP DISCLAIMER AND COPYRIGHT NOTICE
AAP content is owned by or licensed to Australian Associated Press Pty Limited and is copyright protected. AAP content is published on an “as is” basis for personal use only and must not be copied, republished, rewritten, resold or redistributed, whether by caching, framing or similar means, without AAP’s prior written permission. AAP and its licensors are not liable for any loss, through negligence or otherwise, resulting from errors or omissions in or reliance on AAP content. The globe symbol and “AAP” are registered trade marks.
Industrial Manslaughter Bill Passes in Qld
If only there was a go-to template or formula you could follow in order to guarantee success in the bidding process. Long story short, there is no one right answer or solution. However, that doesn’... Read More
Construction work as we well know is a team effort, requiring the synchronization of workers, equipment and materials. And just as construction wo... Read More
Listen in to this free webinar with Carey Larsen, Social Marketing Manager at Procore, Bob Gardner, CEO of Gardner Builders, and Jessica Stoe, Bran... Read More
At a rural Ohio job site, Wieland Construction and its subcontractors are managing progress entirely from mobile devices — an investment they say h... Read More
The majority of project leaders and teams on site today still utilize outdated, manual tools and processes—even though there are plenty of technolo... Read More
Keeping workers safe on road construction sites is an ongoing problem, underlined by the fact that the number of fatalities at these sites increase... Read More
Automation has improved by leaps and bounds over the last decade, and the technology is proving viable as more companies start to incorporate some ... Read More